Wednesday, June 8, 2011

When I Was 23....


It seems to be the all the craze right now to blog what you were doing at the awkward age of 23. Reminiscent of the Vintage Polaroid Photoshop effect circulating Facebook, “What I Was Doing When I was 23” is topic trending popular blogs and websites everywhere. Whereas I refuse to give into the counterfeit retro photo fad because this is not 1970 (no matter how much we want it to be in our oversized sunglasses and frayed hippie satchels), I will give in to writing what I was doing when I was 23 as such that while only 2 years have passed, it feels like the same decades of distance from the real discolored Kodak Polaroids.

Twenty three is that awkward in between stage just after college where most young adults are trying to figure out who they were, who they are and who they want to be. It feels somewhat like middle school, when you know you’re too old to play with toys, but you’re not quite ready for boys. As with most stages in life, some never grow out of the funk and are trapped in limbo forever. You know, that dorky middle aged coworker who finds it appropriate to use the word "awesome" when trying to relate to you, the youngest person in the office. And since I am mature enough to recognize these individuals, I will assume I’m getting over what I was doing when I was 23….

I thought I wanted to climb the corporate ladder like the rest of my female friends from college.

I realized I don’t have to live up to society’s expectations of a 2k female.

I went out every night of the week. But considered myself an adult because it was “happy hour” and I didn’t call off the next day.

I realized being hung over at work made me hate my job.

I was still dressing in clothes from the junior’s department.

I realized if I ever want to be taken serious as an adult, I need to start dressing like one.

I still hung out with all my college friends.

I realized the difference between going out friends and true friends.

I moved to DC by myself and discovered what it meant to be on my own.

I realized I can be on my own and still live in the same city as my parents.

I got a DUI and thought my life was over.

I realized binge drinking is not acceptable after college and those who don’t grow out of it are called “alcoholics.”

I dated an engaged man and thought it was an adult relationship.

I realized inappropriate immature relationships exhibit the fact that I’m not an adult.

I went on trips every weekend and wondered why I didn’t have any money.

I realized I can’t live the life of a young adult living in a big city, going to lavish parties and buying designer bags as depicted in Hollywood films. Starting salaries barely allow you to pay rent.

I thought 25 was so far away and that by then I’d grow up and be married with kids.

I realized 25 is what you make of it. There is no set time line in life. Do things at your own pace and on your own time.